Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Nekkid Werewoof

For a while now we have been dealing with Spencer's unwillingness to wear clothes around the house.  JUST around the house.  He is fine when we are out in public and when he is at school (thank goodness!), so I know that it is not a sensory issue.  I'm pretty sure he does it just to drive me insane.  We have tried trying to make him wear just his undies, but as soon as you get them on him, he pulls them off. We've tried tying wearing clothes to getting to play.  You get the toy if you put on your underwear.  He puts on his underwear until he gets the toy.  Once he has the toy, you guessed it, he drops trough.  At this point, I have run out of ideas.  He doesn't do this ANYWHERE else!!!  (Okay, Tammy, you were the one exception!!) Just at home (or wherever 'home' may be).  I will tell him that he will get to keep the toy if he keeps his underwear on.  He isn't buying that one.  

I have noticed an increase in his flexibility.  You should see the stuff he can do with an exercise ball!  He is ready for a spot with the Cirque du Soleil. Unfortunately, he likes to howl like a wolf (which Peyton used to pronounce as woof) while doing his various acrobatics.  You have to laugh. Thus, he has earned a new nickname- the nekkid werewoof.  

I've had a few people criticize me for not being 'serious' enough.  (I thank them for not doing this publicly)  I have to face adversity with a laugh.  I've done the crying, stressing, denial and depression thing.  It just made my eyes red, my anxiety increase, my kid's special needs and my family neglected.  I'd rather have laugh lines than frown lines.  Trust me, this attitude is a much healthier one for the whole family, but Spencer in particular.  I stand behind everything I've done and said.  People are more willing to listen (and learn) when you temper it with humor.  I'd like to think that I have not only entertained you, but taught you something as well.  Dang, we're getting deep here- time to lighten it back up!!

I'm ready for Spencer to go back to school, so we can establish some kind of routine.  He has had a very long time off since Fayette County got off of school on December 15 and Jefferson Parish doesn't go back to school until January 9.  I think he is ready, as well.  He loves school.  We will be doing some videos soon (fully clothed, ind you!) to update everyone on his progress!

"Humor is the instinct for taking pain playfully." -  Max Eastman

No comments:

Post a Comment