Friday, October 14, 2011

All tricks, no treats?

Well, here we go. I don't usually a get on my soapbox, but I'm going to now. Since being here at Brain Balance, I have learned a lot about healthy living. First of all, those of you who know me would never describe me as 'granola'. I am a makeup wearing, hair fixing, dressed up little Southern girl. (Add in there- more than little computer literate.) So, when I was told that organic fruits and vegetables were the way to go, I went to my trusted computer for answers. What I found out shocked and dismayed me. There are so many chemicals in our food these days. To paraphrase a friend of mine. "our grandparents didn't eat organic. They just called it food." While science is great and wonderful, our food these days owes more to the lab than to the farmer. I found a wonderful website for the Environmental Working Group. Check it out.

Seriously, if you can't pronounce it, how do you know what it is and what it will do to your body. So, while we are being VERY careful about what we put in our bodies, that's not enough. Everything you put on the outside of your body is also absorbed into your system. EWG also has a cosmetic database. I challenge you to grab your makeup, shaving cream, body wash, shampoo, etc. and check it out. The lower the number, the better. I was horrified to find that my foundation scored at a 7 (out of 10). Yikes. Then I got angry. I noticed that the 2007 formulation of the same product was rated at a 3. Say what? Seems the company decided to change the formula and in doing so (without informing the consumer, I might add) it became toxic. Oh, and don't believe any information on the front of the bottle. Look at the ingredients and beware of vague phrases such as "quality control ingredients". Be suspicious. Take for example the brand Organix. You might think it would be a good product to use. Not so. There is not one organic ingredient in the shampoo that I looked at. (The one for straight hair, sorry I forgot the name- but it is in a brown bottle.)

You can choose to believe me or not. The message I really want to get across is this: Do your homework. The information is out there. Arm yourself with knowledge and make fully informed decisions. I, for one, have thrown out quite a few makeup products and no longer make impulse buys at the grocery or for makeup (Sephora will be VERY unhappy to learn this!!). I do a lot more planning. As for the organic eating, I do feel better knowing that we are eating fruit and veggies as nature intended and not full of pesticides. (By the way, there is a report called the 'clean 15' that lists 15 produce items that are okay to buy non-organic since they are farmed with minimum use of pesticides.)

Done preaching. Go forth and Google!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment