Sunday, November 6, 2011

Beauty Banter- Product Reviews

Some of you will not be interested in this blog at all. That is okay with me.  In fact, this entry has taken me so long to do, that I am not sure that I will do another one like this for a while.  However, I do know that quite a few of you are in the same boat- looking for non toxic alternatives without the benefit of realistic reviews. Please note, the opinions expressed herein are completely my own and based upon my own unique experiences.  
I have been using myself as a human guinea pig.  After I noticed that I was running out of makeup, I decided to replace my old stuff with something less toxic.  The stuff I was using had a lovely name like Healthy Complexion (it was by Smashbox).  Although EWG did not have my specific base listed, pretty much all of Smashbox’s foundations were in the severe range. (high toxicity) Ugh!  So then I thought I would go back to Bare Minerals.  What is their slogan, “makeup so pure you can sleep in it.” Well, ALL of their mineral powder foundations scored a 7 (out of 10, with 0 being very low risk and 10 being Yikes!)  Interesting enough, their mineral veil without spf was somewhere around a 3, while the one with an spf was at 7.  Strike one.  (or is that 2?) So, that was my mission.  I mean there has to be something decent out there!!
A few days later, the Pure Pantry posted about a completely non-toxic line called Ava Anderson non-toxic.  I looked on the website and thought I would give it a try.  I was a little disappointed that they had only two colors- light and medium and they made NO eye makeup.  But, I bought the foundation, blush and a mascara to try.  While waiting for my order, I was contacted by the consultant that had been assigned to me.  I wanted to LOVE this makeup.  I hated it.  First of all, I looked worse with it on than I do without any makeup on at all.  It didn’t even out my skintone or anything.  The blush only came in one color called pretty pink.  Um, mine was more like shocking fuchsia.  Not attractive.  But the worst part was when my face started itching. All over.  So, I contacted my consultant and let her know what I thought of it.  She has yet to contact me. There was no indication of how to return a product or even what their policy was.  Since it is a consultant operation (like Mary Kay) I think you need to go through the consultant to return, but since they get commissions on sales... **UPDATE: the consultant did send me an email.  To let me know about an upcoming sale.  I’ll get right on that!
Next up, 100% pure cosmetics and skincare.  One plus was that they had eye makeup as well as different formulations of foundation, etc.  Their products are naturally pigmented with the extracts of fruit.  Sounded interesting.  I got smart this time.  First of all, broadcast in large print is their 30 day money back guarantee.  I like that.  I called the company to ask a few questions.  They were incredibly helpful, both with picking out the right color for foundation and the right skincare.  I have been using this for the past two weeks.  I LOVE IT!!  I have since found the skincare (not the cosmetics) available at my local Fresh Market.  I am using the Purity (for acne prone skin), the caffeine eye cream, resveratrol night cream.  With the exception of concealer (they were out of the color I needed), EVERYTHING I put on my face is now from this company.  I waited to see if the ‘honeymoon’ period would wear off and it hasn’t.  Unfortunately, EWG has not done a lot of review on the 100% pure line, but they did review the mascara.  It got a 2.  That is almost unheard of.  Best part, the stuff rocks.  Seriously.  I have horrible lashes and am constantly on the lookout for something.  Here is all the mascara I have bought in the last 3 months.

So glad, I got one thing covered!  
On to hair…
I heard through research of various organic living websites that Aubrey Organics brand was supposed to be really good.  I got the replenishing for dry, frizzy hair.  I was not impressed.  So, back to the drawing board.

I have my hubby doing some product research as well.   If you know of any good products for kids (or adults!) put them in the comments section, as I am still searching for something for my boys.

I'll get back to Spencer updates as soon as I recover from this blog!!

No comments:

Post a Comment