Monday, November 28, 2011

The post-Thanksgiving wrap up.

Overall, we had a fabulous time this past week.  I just love watching my boys hugging each other and playing together.  I also noticed Spence following Pey around a lot more than ever before.  It was such a a sweet sight to behold.  The weather was amazing, so Spencer got to go in the hot tub or pool almost every day.  That is his favorite activity with his Daddy!  I spent Black Friday sleeping late, putting up the Christmas tree and decorating the house for Christmas.  Pey helped while Daddy worked and Spence entertained himself with bubble wrap.  I've missed those guys so much!  Yesterday, we drove back to PTC.  The weather was horrible, the traffic unbelievable, the child amazingly well behaved.  Only a few weeks to go before we are home for good.  

I have deliberately left off talking about Thanksgiving Day.  In order to appreciate the present, you must revisit the past.  So, this is what Thanksgiving USED to look like:
  • It was a chore to get Spencer dressed and leave the house.  He would freak out once we got to my mother's house and it would be another battle before we could get him in the house.  Before we even entered, my husband and I would be spent.  Not knowing why he is getting upset makes it impossible to make him happy.
  • Spence would be all over the place, like a one man fragile-item seeking missile. 
  • Spencer didn't notice or care who else came to dinner.
  • When Spencer was ready to leave, the little dictator would demand that we go.  First he would bring me my purse.  Then, if we didn't get the hint, he would start leading us to the door.  If we still demanded that we stay a little longer, he would go into full blown melt down mode, becoming self-injurious. He would have to be physically restrained and then we would have to go.
  • We normally stayed at my mom's for an hour- maybe an hour and a half.
Now, for what it was like this year:
  • We told Spence that it was time to go "bye-bye" and he willingly got dressed and went outside. 
  • He was calm.  He did venture from room to room and redecorated my mother's living room. But, grandma didn't mind one bit!! He even played the piano in the living room.  SOFTLY, not banging the keys.
  • He made eye contact when my aunt, uncle or cousins would say his name.  He even played a little game of keep away with my cousin.
  • Spencer didn't want to leave until the other family members left.
  • We stayed at my mom's house for four hours!!
  • Other family members remarked on the change in Spencer in the past year.  It is nice when others notice the change in your child.
When we got back to the Georgia apartment last night, Spencer got out of the car and cried.  I guess he is ready to be home, too.

"I am thankful for all those who said NO to me.  It's because of them I did it myself."  Einstein

And since it is Monday- GO SAINTS!!!!!  You didn't think I forgot? ;)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed you. Didn't know you were home. Would have met you in the street. So very proud of you! Call when u get home. Maybe we can meet in my kitchen this time. I always have one open for ya!

    ReplyDelete