Sunday, November 13, 2011

Headline News- Gigi style

Last week, we had Special Olympics basketball.  For my son's age/ability range, it is not a game by any sense of the word, it is more of a skills test.  I got there after Spencer arrived.  I watched him from a distance for about 5 minutes.  He was calm and behaving well.  All of that changed when I showed up.  He wanted to leave, then he wanted me to leave, he found the iPad in my purse and became obsessed with it.  I should have stayed home, he would have had a better time.  He refused to do many of the activities, choosing instead to watch the iPad.  Since he is not allowed to watch television, he wanted to watch for as long as he could.  It took both the teacher and myself to get Spencer to the gym floor when it was his turn.  So, imagine my surprise when it came time for ribbons to be distributed.  Spencer went down when they called his name, WITHOUT ANY PROMPTING.  He got so excited to get his ribbon that he ignored the iPad for a while.  Who knew?  (In true Special Olympics fashion, everyone gets a ribbon)  That part was awesome.  I was not pleased with the rest of the day.  The gym was uncomfortably warm, Spencer didn't begin to misbehave until I got there, the 'pal' assigned to Spence didn't speak to him for 2 hours and then expected Spence to go with him.  In the kid's defense, it was suggested that perhaps when parents are present, the 'pals' are somewhat intimidated.  Okay, I can see that.  

That was Wednesday.  On Thursday, I had my last IEP meeting in Georgia.  It was the most positive experience I have had during an IEP.  I did inform them that Spence would be leaving during the Christmas holidays.  I feel bittersweet about this.  Granted, it is time to go home.  I will miss the wonderful people that we have encountered here.  But, I miss my family more.  We (Spence & I) have operated in a bubble, and we need to get back to reality.  I have been so pleased with Spencer's progress thus far.  If you know anyone whose child is affected by autism, ADHD or other neurological disorders, it is worth it to look into the Brain Balance program.  I feel especially grateful to Lori C. who brought this program to my attention.  Our lives have been changed for the better due to this program.  While it was just for Spencer, as a family we have benefitted from it.  

Over the weekend (Thursday afternoon until Sunday morning), my parents came for their last visit to Peachtree City.  Spencer was happy to see them, and we had a wonderful time.  I packed some items so my parents could take them back.  Yep, it is finally sinking in that we are leaving.  As I look around, I see all of the items that need to go home, and all of the items that I need to sell before leaving.  Then I grab the paper bag to breathe into!!  Seriously, it is enough to give me a panic attack.  Trying to do all of that plus continue with everything that I'm already doing and I wonder when my clone is arriving. 

I'm going to finish listening to the Saints - Falcons game.  (Why yes, I do have my priorities straight!!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey. It's a long and sometimes frustrating process to help a child heal in this way.
    Our 11-year-old used to be on the spectrum and brain balance was a HUGE part of healing him beginning 18 months ago.

    ReplyDelete