Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cookies, cookies everywhere..but sorry, son, none for you

It seems lately, everywhere we go , they have chocolate chip cookies.  Spencer has always loved chocolate chip cookies.  So, I wasn't surprised when we stopped at Smoothie King, he picked up a large (wrapped) chocolate chip cookie and brought it to me.  First ingredient: wheat flour. Sorry, babe, you can't have that.  And, boy did he want that cookie.  Imagine my surprise, when I go to the counter to pay, he puts the cookie back on the shelf and stands next to me.  What, no tantrum, no argument?  WOW!!  I'll take it.  Then a few days later, we went to "meet the teacher" at his school.  His sweet teacher baked chocolate chip cookies.  But, she also was kind enough to buy a box of the cookies he loves.  And, he chose the cookies he could have as opposed to the ones he couldn't.  Seriously, who is this kid?  And I was more surprised by his behavior.  He was playing appropriately with toys and making all kinds of cute noises.  And, he was calm.  A little while later, he was looking at a book and another child was trying to grab it from him.  All he did was turn his body away.  When the child persisted, Spencer gave him the book, got up and went and got another one.  No retaliation, no violence.  He was showing a maturity that I hadn't seen in him.  I was loving it!!
I decided Friday to make him some chocolate chip cookies that fit with his restrictions.  He was so happy! My parents were in town this past weekend (for my birthday!) and Spencer seemed much more interested in our food than he has ever been.  Normally I would not encourage Spencer to stick his fingers in our food, but I don't deny him any interest in our food.  So I was pleasantly surprised when he grabbed a green bean off my mother's plate Friday night.  All he did was put it in his mouth and and then take it out.  He didn't gag (his usual response to new foods) or make any kind of face.  This is progress!  With the assistance of an old high school friend, I was able to bake a chocolate cake for my birthday (yes, it fit with Spencer's restrictions) and top it with a frosting made of cashews.  We noticed Spencer making trips through the kitchen.  Every time he passed the cake, he would dip his finger in the frosting and eat it. Wonderful!!
Yes, I know I've used the word 'surprised' plenty of times in this blog, but there really is no other word to describe.  I look forward to continued surprises from my awesome little dude!!

2 comments:

  1. This makes me so happy, you're a wonderful mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He makes me smile everyday :) (especially with his new toothless grin)!!!! Kelly

    ReplyDelete