Monday, November 15, 2010

INSOMNIA

As is common in children with an autism spectrum disorder (the true technical name for it), my son has many sleep disturbances.  Why do I bring this up now?  Because the time change has completely and totally wrecked havoc on an otherwise manageable system.  Couple that with my own sleep problems and I am one tired chick!  Now, if I was a celebrity, I would check into some posh resort and have my reps issue a statement that I am suffering from exhaustion and just need to recuperate.  But, I'm not :(

This weekend, the little man pulled the ultimate trick on us.  Friday morning, he slept until 6:30.  We were so excited.  But that was short-lived.  He woke me up on Saturday at 4:30 and Sunday at 5:00.  And, no, he does not let me take a nap.

Which gave me plenty time to think. What is it that I want from this new program we are going to try? I narrowed it down to three basic wishes.

  1. Spencer needs some form of communication.  I don't care if it is talking, sign language or picture symbols.  Just something other than kicking you out of bed, and yanking you where he wants you to go.
  2. POTTY!  He was potty-training last summer with great success.  In fact, he wore underwear to school for the first week.  Then, he just stopped.  We are back on pull ups because he has become too lazy.
  3. A regular sleep cycle.  
Doesn't seem like much, but it is to us.  Time to get the kids ready for school.

No comments:

Post a Comment