Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Adventures in LA LA land

This post is probably more for me than anyone else.  This is my benchmark BEFORE post regarding Spencer's abilities.  This a reminder to me as to why we are in Atlanta.

Spencer does not talk and refuses to use sign language or picture symbols to express his wants and needs at home.
We do not go out to eat as a family but maybe 2 times a year.  Spencer does not eat any food other than HIS food and when he is ready to leave, usually he and I have to go sit in the car.
Taking my son to the doctor requires me to outfit myself in protective gear.
When Spencer is overwhelmed or overstimulated, he becomes so hyped on adrenaline that the 50 lb. child seems to weigh 250 lbs.
My husband and I have very few date nights.  My parents offer to watch the kids but I don't want to take advantage of them.  Other babysitters have run at the sound of the word autism.
Peyton gets incredibly overprotective and angry when people stare at Spencer.
Spencer eats only crackers, pop tarts, nilla wafers, froot loops, turkey bacon, bread.  He has never eaten a hamburger and used to eat fried chicken tenders.
Spencer is a huge momma's boy.  Daddy is an option when 1) in the pool or 2) Mommy's not around.
Spencer exhibits skills at school and with therapists that don't carry over to home.
Spencer was not born this way.  His development was right on track until about 19 months, when he started losing words until he didn't speak at all.
Even during his speaking time, he never once said "Mommy" (or anything similar).


We are blessed.  Spencer is a happy child with no physical ailments.  He has a special bond with his half brother that transcends any mere friendship.  I couldn't imagine my life without my little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment