Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The waiting is the hardest part

I waited all day for a call from the County Special Education coordinator, but no such call came.  I was hoping they would be more efficient than at home...

At ten am on Tuesday, she called.  Her name was Cathy and she would prove herself to be an invaluable resource.  We talked about Spencer and his Louisiana IEP (she had actually read it!!).  We decided that Braelinn Elementary would be the best fit.  Spencer loved the bus ride at home, so Cathy put in the request for transportation.  All that was left was to schedule an IEP meeting including her, a rep from Kedron (groan) and the folks at Braelinn.  Our meeting was scheduled for 1 pm on Thursday and Spencer could start school the next day.  Yeah!

It was by far my most pleasant IEP experience.  All parties were well prepared and had questions and changes ready to roll. I was amazed at how at-ease I felt.  I was impressed with the school and all the staff members I came in contact with.  So, Spencer went to school on Friday.  Around 9:30, I receive a call from Cathy.  She was spending half her day in Spencer's classroom, observing him and making sure we made the right choice in schools.  She wanted to report that Spence had a little adjusting period in the morning, but now he was doing just fine.  All the teachers were already in love with him and think he is 'a precious little doll'. Yippee!  Now we get back to routine!  Right? Wrong!  Monday and Tuesday are snow days.  Just my luck!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wait, now we have another snow day tomorrow! Noooooo. I need some kind of routine here.

    ReplyDelete