Friday, January 28, 2011

Who's in charge, here?

Day 1 is in the books.  I moved the portable DVD player and television out of Spencer's room and removed the dvd player from the den.  He really has no use for television that he can't control.  Needless to say, he was PISSED when he discovered his beloved left-brain activity had been taken from him.  He screamed, threw things, led me around the apartment to every hiding place he could conceive of (thankfully, none of them were the real hiding places), including the clothes dryer, in search of his stuff.  I felt like an alcoholic going through the 12 step program.  I just have to get through today. I'll deal with tomorrow when it gets here.  Two hours into the rage and I was ready to give in.  And then, boom, the epiphany hit me. We did not come all this way for the same old, same old.  Finally, Spence realized that he would not win this battle.  We sat on the floor playing with some of his Toy Story figures and he put on his music.  We danced and laughed.  By the end of the night, we were both whipped.  He went to bed all by himself and slept until the morning.  I was able to unwind and read for a couple of hours before going to sleep.  Let's see what day 2 has in store...
So, that is what I am planning to do.  While Spencer is in school, my days are my own.  But, when he gets home, I will be working with him to try and get the most out of his therapy.  I think I can, I think I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment