Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Twilight Zone

I believe that is where I now reside.  Spencer has not been acting like himself since we moved (April 8) on the heels of Spring Break.  Granted, I made a lot of necessary changes during that time (we went home, took him off of his meds, came back here, moved apartments) that I can't pinpoint exactly what has done him in.  My normally happy boy who wakes up early has become a grumpy 'barely waking up in time for the bus' child.  He was sick for two days last week, so he didn't take the bus Thursday or Friday.  It took a few days for us to find the ideal spot near our building for the bus to pick him up and drop him off.  Couple that with a new bus driver (I'm not sure if she is just a sub) who comes a little earlier than the regular one and you've got a six year old in total confusion.  He has been making me bring my purse out to the car and wait with him in the car until the bus gets here.  This morning, the bus beat us.  Spencer did not want to deviate from our plan, so I had to CARRY him to the bus.  He got on and fell to the ground. Bus driver told me she would take care of it (in other words, Momma get lost) so I hid behind some trees to watch while they got him strapped in and sent off.  So, I came back here and made my coffee and took a hot bath (my remedy for stress!) And, still I am not relaxed.  He has been at school for a half hour now, and I haven't received any calls, so he must be working through whatever it is that has him so out of sorts.  This is when his lack of language and communication skills becomes incredibly frustrating for us both.  I can't help him if I don't know WHY he is so upset.  Was he tired? hungry? mad? confused?  I don't know, and that bothers us both.
Still on the same subject- Spencer has been wetting the bed.  He hasn't done that in forever.  He refuses to wear night time pull ups to bed, insisting on underwear.  And he sleeps in my bed.  When I can, I slip a pull up on him while he is asleep.  Sometimes he even leaves it on! My linens are being washed as we speak.
I am so tired, all the time.  I crash early, than am up several hours in the middle of the night.  Last night, I am playing solitaire on my phone around midnight when the phone rings.  It is labeled unknown, so I decline the call.  Not a minute later, another call comes through with an area code of home with a number I don't recognize, so I hit decline again.  No message is left.  My mind begins to wander.  Is that my neighbor's cell phone calling to tell me something is wrong with my family?  I can't rest, so I send a text message to my husband (I don't want to wake Peyton) and he responds that everything is fine.  Must have been a wrong number.  I toss and turn and can't fall back asleep.  I guess I finally do, because when I wake, my alarm had been going off for 30 minutes.  Me, oversleep?  That just doesn't happen.  EVER. Anyone who knows me well knows I'm more likely to wake up a half hour early than be 5 minutes late. I was trained that way.  :)
Looking forward to today, going by Tammy's apartment with another mom to whip up some gluten-free goodies.  Should be fun!  I need to be around other adults sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Honey! I just said the same thing to Vienna's doctor the other day ... "I'm exhausted because I just can't make her happy." And I think it was because her routine got totally messed up over Spring Break, and then we started Brain Balance here. I think she thought Jeff would be going away again because of that. He was 10 mins late for dinner - and she had such a violent melt down - she was bloody by the time he got home.

    Things are finally starting to settle down for her now that she is back in her routine - so hopefully that will happen for Spencer too!

    Also - Vienna had to go back into pullups durning Brain Balance too! Just today I was thinking - wow - I think she is finally back in big girl panties....3 months after we left the program!!! Cleaning up an 8 year old ... not my cup of tea - so I feel for you...and honestly - I'd like national recognition for my suffering.

    On the flip side - Vienna is suddenly starting to copy me! The other day she came downstairs wearing some of my scarves and then she tried to use my eyelash curler. Maybe I am raising her right after all! :) I got her a new ruffley shirt for school today and she was all smiles. Perhaps when we get to the other side of this - I will have the little shopper I always dreamed she could be.

    From one girlie girl to another - buy yourself some new shoes. Think of it as your gift to Spencer - a happy mom makes a happier boy! :)
    XOXOXO
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete