Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring Breaking the Habit

So much to report.  I will try to present the facts in an organized fashion, but let's face it: my poor tired mind does not function like that anymore. (I'm blaming it on the children.) Anyway, the biggest news is that I took Spencer's week off for Spring Break as an opportunity to take him off of his ADHD medication.  While I know we should not have gone cold turkey, I wanted him to have any necessary side effects while he was in our care.  Besides sleeping (a lot 10-12 hours), we really saw no change.  Occasionally he would have hissy fits, but not temper tantrums.  I know it was hard for his little body to adjust; but with his therapy, I really didn't feel that he needed the medication at all.  The main side effect has been an increased appetite.  REALLY increased.  The child has eaten stuff that he has never eaten before (and not on his list of approved foodstuffs, either!)  His lunch actually resembles that of a neurotypical child, now.  Of course, he is not liking mommy's homemade versions of his approved menu.  I keep getting flash backs of Chris Rock, "I don't want no home burger, I want a McDonald's burger." My mind works like that.
We had to come back on Thursday so we could move on Friday.  I have never felt my age like I did last weekend.  Up and down those stairs like to kill me.  It didn't help that the weather was muggy and the air clung to you like a wet blanket.  It was exhausting, and my muscles were screaming in protest. But we are all moved.  The only real difference is that we are closer to the pool (which opens May 1) and our apartment is the mirror image of the other one.
Good news.  Spencer has actually spent two nights, out of six, sleeping in his own bed.  I don't know why he loves my bed, but he sleeps horizontally and uses my body like an 'under the knee' pillow.  Comfortable for him, very uncomfortable for me. Guess I need to get ready for my day.  I'm sure there is more to report and when I remember it, I will post more.

No comments:

Post a Comment