Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fabutastic!

That is my word to describe this year's vacation to Disney/Orlando.  But, in order for you to appreciate where we are now, you need to know where we've been. Here are the 'lowlights' from last year's vacation:

  • Spencer did not want to leave the room.  Ever.  It was an ordeal to get him dressed and out the door.
  • He was fixated on wearing swim diapers, which don't hold much.  He would have several accidents while wearing them.
  • Spencer would tire out easily.  If we didn't rent a stroller, he would try to sit in other children's strollers.  He was too big for a single, so we had to rent a double stroller. (which he was still a little too big for.)
  • He didn't want to leave my side.  (That is how we got him to leave the room.  Choose Mommy or the room.) I couldn't even take a shower or go to the bathroom without him following me.  If I managed to make a break, he would cry and beat on the door.  At Disney, this was worse.  The one time I managed to sneak out to use the restroom, he bolted out of the restaurant and was halfway down the 'street' before Peyton caught up with him.  
  • Spencer didn't want to leave the stroller. He even ate in the stroller, refusing to join us at the table.
  • Had to physically force him out of the stroller to ride ANY rides.
  • Spencer melted down several times every day.
THIS YEAR  (highlights!)
  • Spencer would bring us his clothes when he noticed we were getting ready.
  • He wore a combo regular pullup under his underwear.  He had a few accidents in the pullup, but none that required a change of clothes!  He even went to the bathroom at Disney.  At the resort, he pretty consistently used the bathroom independently.
  • We did not rent a stroller.  Spencer did not try to steal one.  He walked all over Disney World and didn't make us carry him once!
  • He not only let me go to the bathroom by myself, he even went with Peyton & Les several times.
  • He did NOT bolt ONCE.
  • Spencer rode several rides.  He even pulled us all to Mexico to ride the boat ride there.
  • We had an 8 hour Disney day on Sunday.  Spencer behaved like a neurotypical child.
  • Daddy took Spencer and Peyton swimming at the resort Saturday and Sunday evening so Mommy could get some much needed R&R.

My favorite quotes from vacation came from Peyton.
to Spence: " I love you so much."
to me: "Gigi, Spence wants to play with me!"

There are so many more wonderful things that happened on vacation, but I think you get the idea.  When I dig out my camera cables, I'll have to post some photos.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a blessing Gina!!! I love him so much too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say that was from Mrs. Kelly :)))

    ReplyDelete