Sunday, May 29, 2011

A quick update

I'm writing this in a hurry, so bear with me.  So much to update on just two days. I'll try not to forget anything...
Friday, Spencer got to play on a space walk at school before I picked him up for our 6 1/2 hour drive to Orlando.  He was in such a good mood!  As you may or may not know, Spencer does not let me use the bathroom.  He refuses to get out of the car, and I don't feel comfortable leaving him in the car.  But that changed this trip.  We stopped at a rest stop in Florida so I could stretch.  I also realized that I needed to use the facilities.  So, I opened Spencer's door.  He willingly got out and accompanied me to the bathroom.  THIS IS HUGE!!! He even used the toilet himself.  Such a good boy!
I called the other guys when we were getting close to the resort.  They met us in the parking lot.  Spencer went with his brother out of the way of the car.  I was watching them exchanging hugs.  They were so happy to see each other.  When we got to the room, Spencer was super excited!  He was laughing and exploring the room. We then got dressed for the pool.  One pool has a pirate ship that has several small slides for the little guys.  Spencer got the hang of it rather quickly.  He would go around to the back of the ship (by himself), wait his turn and then come down the slide.  My husband and I felt bad for him because it looked like he was trying to race other children down the slides, but since he doesn't talk, he couldn't express himself.  It started getting really crowded on the pirate ship, so we decided to join Peyton at the other pool.
Peyton was playing a game with Spencer.  He would count to 3, and then they would swim (Spence to Daddy).  It was so cute!  Spencer had such a smile on his face.  He would swim to his brother.  I loved hearing Peyton tell him "I love you".  Spencer would hug and kiss him in return.  It was a wonderfully normal evening.
Saturday we ventured to the Magic Kingdom.  While Daddy was inside getting Spencer's disability pass, a parade passed by.  Spencer got up and started dancing with the music.  When it was over, he seemed so disappointed!  I wanted to take a picture of my boys.  When I got out the camera, Spencer went to the next bench and sat close to this lady sitting by herself.  Such a Romeo!
I need to wrap this up, because we are planning to hit Hollywood Studios today.  Lots more to tell, but I'll end with the best story of the day.  After riding the Buzz Lightyear ride, we ended up in the gift shop.  Spencer went and looked at the toys.  He couldn't decide between a ball or a bucket of little green men.  He grabbed the bucket, looked at me and signed "Mommy" and then "please".  So, yes we got the bucket! Peyton kept saying all day- "He was communicating!  If you weren't going to buy it for him, I would have."
More stories to come!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Please give Spencer a huge hug for me!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes reading about how he signed mommy please. I love seeing how much he has grown & changed. It's wonderful to see how we affect these babies, I love him!!! Have an amazing time!!! Love, Mrs. Kelly from Braelinn

    ReplyDelete