Thursday, May 12, 2011

The smell of progress is in the air, and it smells like.....cinnamon?

Yesterday when Spencer and I arrived home from his session at Brain Balance, we went into our normal routine.  He went to the bathroom, then to his room.  I unpacked his backpack and lunch bag.  Then I went to pull the sheets out of the dryer.  I smelled cinnamon waffles.  Since I had made waffles earlier, I thought it was just a residual smell.  After putting the newly cleaned sheets on my bed, I went into the den.  The smell of cooking waffles was stronger.  Did I leave the waffle maker on?  No. Maybe it is just my imagination.  Then I notice a waffle sticking out of the toaster.  Did I put that in there before I left?  (I love those cinnamon waffles, too!) But I don't remember doing that.  Just as I am about to schedule a mental health assessment for myself, in walks Spence.  He nonchalantly grabs the waffle out of the toaster, proceeds to put another one in the slot, pulls down the handle.  Then he walks off to enjoy his waffle.  I didn't even know he knew how to use the toaster!  He is so independent, it is sometime scary.

Apparently, we make a spectacle out of ourselves every morning.  We sit in the back of my car while waiting for the bus.  Tailgating style.  It started because I needed to get him out of the way of cars (it is still dark out at 6:15am when we go wait for the bus), and I refused to hold him.  This morning, one of my exercising neighbors told me how cute she thought it was for us to sit like that every day.  I responded that it was safer and she said that it was still cute and that I'm a good momma.  Wow, that off hand remark made my day.

Today is Spencer's IEP meeting at school.  Pretty sure that I will be making a name for myself (and not in a good way) during this meeting.  But, I only want that which will benefit my child.  You can't fault me for that.  I know what to ask for (and hope they agree!).  I would LOVE to not have an IEP for the rest of his academic career, and that is the goal that we are working toward.  Gotta go get my game face on.  Watch out, here comes Spencer's crazy momma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment