Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Where did I leave off?


I know I haven't posted in a while.  And, the more time that passes, the more I have to write and the potential to forget most of it increases.  So, I wrote down little blurbs to jog my memory.  In no order whatsoever, here is the latest scoop:

  • The BEST news:  since Saturday night, Spencer has been sleeping in his own bed, in his own room. This is huge!  And, best of all, it didn't take a lot of coaxing on my part.  All that is required of me is that I sit in the den and read.  He will periodically come out of his room to make sure that I am there, and when I tell him to go back to his room, he goes!  Last night he decided he wanted to put the mattress on the floor.  Whatever!  Here is my little sweet angel :)


  • My parents came this past weekend for their monthly visit.  The weather was beautiful on Saturday, so we rented a golf cart.  It was so much fun.  Best of all, Spencer was so well behaved.  He didn't try to jump out, he didn't get frustrated because we got lost (repeatedly!), he was so happy and looking around taking in his surroundings.
  • It took us 2 hours to get from the rental place to McDonald's to get Spencer a treat (french fries).  My dad went in to get a few things.  When he came out with the bag, the old Spencer would have jumped out of the cart, ran across the parking lot without any concern for oncoming cars, ripped the bag out of my dad's hands and gotten his fries.  New and improved Spencer waited patiently in the cart, smiling, squealing with delight!  He sat properly and waited to be handed his fries, which he ate one by one.  

  • Saturday evening, I made homemade pizza, homemade herbed breadsticks and, of course, homemade sauce.  It was a more flavorful sauce than I had been making and I wasn't sure if Spencer was going to like it.  He first ripped off the toppings (which he always does) then he ventured into dipping his finger into the sauce on the slice and licking it off his finger.  He loved it!  Yet another victory for Mommy!!
  • I am always amazed at his ability to figure things out on his own.  My parents brought him some little Toy Story figures that have parachutes attached.  He figured out what you were supposed to do with them without a lot of help.  He then brought the toys into his room and played with them.  It was so cute.  A long time ago, I downloaded the Toy Story 3 memory game app to my iPhone to use to keep Spencer happy in waiting rooms, etc.  He never really played it, just looked at the pictures of the characters.  He would never let me touch the game to show him how to play it, I guess he was afraid that I was going to take it away from him.  So, imagine my surprise when I happen upon him PLAYING the game, not just turning the cards over to see the pictures!  It was adorable!  (He looked so serious, too)
  • We are going on vacation for Memorial Day!  We will be meeting up with the other two boys in Orlando.  When I told Spencer that we would be seeing Daddy and Bubby in just a matter of days, he got the biggest smile on his face and said something I didn't understand and then Daddy. Awww  I figured out that we haven't seen them since the beginning of April.  Too long.
  • But I think I may have gotten Spencer overly excited too soon.  After I told his about going to see Daddy and Bubby, he awoke at 2:30 in the morning, ready to roll.  Ugh.  me, I was so not ready to begin my day.  I had such a full day, I couldn't even manage to squeeze in a nap.  It will be our first vacation with Spencer's new foods, so I am cooking like a crazy woman and bringing a ton of food with me. It is not like the boys can just eat something different from Spence, because Spence will want what they have.  I had my parents bring me my Food Saver.  That is how we do fast food!!
  • I am still in awe over Spencer's maintenance of his potty skills. Previously, he would go to the bathroom on schedule and he would use it if he had to go.  It became a habit.  He didn't quite 'feel' when he had to go.  It is quite a different story these days. Granted, he does have some accidents, but for the most part, he uses the bathroom on a consistent basis.  It is wonderful!!! He is so much calmer than he was a year ago.  He also is a better listener.  Just yesterday, he was in his room blaring the music.  I told him it was too loud and he lowered it.  That required a lot of cognition on his part.  I didn't specifically tell him to lower the volume.  He figured out that my complaint of it being too loud, meant that he needed to lower it.  Good job!
  • He has been earning stars left and right at Brain Balance.  Yippee for my little man!  He has been tracing the letter S on the white board and doing more core exercises on the exercise ball.  I am so proud of him.  And, I am so glad we decided to pursue the Brain Balance program.  He is making such wonderful progress and the changes are lasting.
  • We got together with some other Brain Balance moms and their kids yesterday for a little swim party.  It was wild!  Imagine- 4 adults; 6 Brain Balance kids; 2 neurotypical children.  We scared away anyone who was trying to relax around the pool area. Not that the kids were bad, they were loud!  We had a good time and it was good to hang out with other Brain Balance families.
Now for the decision that has been keeping me up at night. Drumroll, please.  We have decided to stay through the next school year so Spencer can have another round at Brain Balance.  We actually toyed with the idea of opening up our own Brain Balance, but the only viable location would be the Northshore.  I just couldn't make that commute for the long hours it would take to open a business and since I am not familiar with the area AT ALL, I would be at a serious disadvantage.  At this point, I am not even sure when my next visit home will be.

I am sure I forgot some stuff, I always do.  Hopefully, I will do better about the blogging.  Now I've got to start the 'cookapaloosa'.

No comments:

Post a Comment