Sunday, May 15, 2011

Weekend update

Let's see- this is the quick and dirty recap.  Thursday evening and Friday morning, Blogger was down so I couldn't post Spence's IEP update.  Then, Friday I poke myself in the eye.  (I've got to think of a better excuse, that sounds oh so lame!)  Come to find out, I scratched my eye pretty bad.  I was in denial until I awoke Saturday to a swollen teary eye.  Saturday consisted of an urgent care visit, an eye doctor visit, and the discovery that Spencer has REAL angels as his teachers.  One of them watched him for me to get my eye taken care of.  Now for the details:

IEP RECAP:
It wasn't much different than what I was expecting.  However, it seems in the last month Spencer has gotten lazy with cutting and writing.  Also, he has been pretty defiant (for lack of a better word)  Here is an example.  The teacher would pull out two number cards and ask Spencer to point to the number 2.  He would consistently point to the opposite.  She then tried putting out one number card and an object.  He would choose the object.  Almost like he was trying to spite her.  Then she discovered the ultimate reinforcer, brownies!  (HIS special dietary brownies)  She would give him a small bite as positive reinforcement.  All of a sudden his answers were right.  That's my baby, will work for food!!

They suggested that Spencer repeat kindergarten, not for academic reasons, but they felt he could benefit from more inclusion opportunities.  In kindergarten, those opportunities are more "fun".  I agreed and have been second-guessing myself since then.  I could debate the topic either way.  Part of me thinks that Spencer is not being challenged enough by a kindergarten curriculum (he has had the same curriculum for about 3 years now)  Perhaps he is bored? Perhaps I'm wrong?  Maybe he needs the extra year in kindergarten.  Maybe he doesn't.  I'm making my own head spin....

He qualified for ESY (extended school year) so he will go to school for 6 weeks in the summer, M-Th, 9-12.  Hopefully, this will allow him to retain what knowledge he has.  Pretty sure he will enjoy the bus rides!

FRIDAY, THE 13TH- GINA STYLE
I used to be coordinated.  Really.  So, when a wayward piece of hair landed in my eye, I thought that I could extract it.  Managed to poke myself in the eye.  It started to tear up but I thought in a little while it will be better.  And it seemed to get better. Until I stopped at a gas station to pick up a beverage on my way to pick up Spence for his Brain Balance session.  They did not have the air conditioner on, so there was no relief from the heat.  They had a small kitchen in the corner that was cooking something most foul smelling.  Once the fumes got to my left eye, I could not stop it from tearing up. It was all downhill from there.  I could not get more than a few moments relief before my eye would start acting up.  Spencer understood a little bit that mommy wasn't feeling well, because he let me lay on the sofa with minimal interruptions.  I thought that by Saturday morning I would be fine.

THREE HOURS, TWO DOCTORS, ONE TETANUS SHOT
Saturday I awoke to incredible pain in my left eye.  My eyelashes were, in effect, glued shut.  A warm compress took care of that.  I figured at this point that I probably scratched my eye a little bit and I would benefit from an urgent care visit.  Sounds great, but there was no way I could bring Spence.  He wouldn't understand that we were not there for him and it would be hard to keep an eye on him. (no pun intended)  So I reached out to Facebook land and lo and behold, one of Spencer's teachers calls to say she can watch him.  (She didn't see the FB post, another teacher who was unable to watch Spence did.  She informed this teacher of my plight.  Like I said, ANGELS!!)  So, she and her mom come to pick up Spence.  I was able to relax knowing that he was with people he knew and liked and who knew how to handle him.  So I headed to the urgent care.  They examined my eye and suggested that I get a tetanus shot to be on the safe side.  The doctor said my eye had a pretty bad scratch on it and I needed to see an eye doctor.  Her husband is an eye doctor, so she called his office to let them know that I was being sent over.  The urgent care didn't take my insurance, so the doctor decided that I would only be charged for the tetanus shot because she didn't want me to be charged for 2 office visits in one day.  She also found me a sample of antibiotic eye drops so I wouldn't need to buy any.  I was then on my way to the husband's office.  He double checked my eye and proclaimed that I did a number on my eye.  He put a contact lens (with a slight prescription) on my eye to keep it from being irritated every time I blinked.  He gave me some rewetting drops and said he would see me Monday.  He also gave me his cell phone number should I wake up Sunday and my eye is worse.  Say What?  Their credit card machine was down, so the doc said he would just run it through on Monday.  He won't charge me for Monday.

While I was having no fun, Spence was having a good time.  His teacher said he was so good.  They took him for a ride in the golf cart and he had a blast.  He went to a few garage sales, but wouldn't let anyone buy anything!  I was surprised that he didn't freak out going to their house or doing some of these things he has never done.  So proud of my big boy!  The antibiotic drops make me sensitive to light, so I was wearing sunglasses around the house.  So, Spencer decided he needed to wear his sunglasses around the house, too.  Wish I would've gotten a picture of that.  Since he was so good all day long, I decided to reward him with a movie.  I let him watch a movie on the ipod.  He was so excited!

SUNDAY
So far, so good.  The throbbing pain has left my eye and I can keep it open.  That means Mr. Spence's free reign is over! Of course, I was awakened by the ipod blaring "Trouble" by Pink.  Seems Spencer has adopted that as his theme song.  Oh boy!!

If my life wasn't crazy, I wouldn't know it was my life!!

1 comment:

  1. so many great things to celebrate - and some usual craziness (I'm a friend of your brother's by the way!)
    In my humble opinion, holding my son back in kindergarten was a mistake - he is 14 - we've been playing catch up ever since. He can still have inclusion opportunities in first grades ---I have a link - "we two moms" they are friends of mine and they have made some great strides in the social piece for inclusion.

    ReplyDelete