Thursday, May 5, 2011

In search of unicorns, adults and competition (?!?)

Really the title will make sense to you.  Or not.  I'm beginning to think that I would have an easier time finding a unicorn than a good night's sleep.  I don't need a lot of sleep, I need restful sleep.  For some reason, that is alluding me. The Sunday Atlanta paper did an article about the country's lack of sleep.  According to it, "Research suggests that too little sleep for long enough can cause severe cognitive impairment, roughly the equivalent of being legally drunk."  That explains a lot.  After getting only 4 hours of sleep Tuesday night, in 2 hour increments, with 4 hours of reading in between, I was TOAST yesterday.  The coffee, diet coke, and other caffeine sources I availed myself of were not helping.  I couldn't even complete Spencer's exercises because I physically did not have the energy to do them.  Nor the cognitive ability to count.  My poor husband tried to have a conversation with me, but I could hardly put a string of words together into a reasonable sentence.  Last night was a little better.  I went to sleep early (right after Spence, at 9) slept pretty much until 5.  But, I am still groggy.  Spencer, of course, would not sign his grandma's mother's day card, even with hand over hand assistance.  He wasn't being mean or malicious, it was a game to him.  I couldn't help but smile while he was giggling.
I usually catch up on my sleep on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I go back to sleep after my husband's phone call at 7am and rest until about 9.  Not much, but it helps.  I'm still dragging today and could use the extra rest, but I joined a club and am now on the board.  Installation is today.  What can I say, sometimes it is nice to connect with the outside world.  Having a meaningless conversation with another adult is so underrated.  So, for two hours, I get to be Gina.  Works wonders for the Momma.
When I come home, I will make more waffles (Spencer LOVES waffles) and try my hand once again at the doggone pumpkin muffins.  I will tackle this.  I've never been so inept in the kitchen before, I don't like it!  I desperately want to cook items that Spence will enjoy, that we can eat together.  So far, no luck.  But, we're still trying.
I was on the receiving end of an interesting comment this week.  I was asked about competition among the Brain Balance mothers.  As most of you know, I am pretty competitive and always have been.  So I guess it seemed like a natural request.  Not to sound naive, but there doesn't seem to be competition among the moms.  Instead we lift each other up, revel in the success of others, and act as sounding boards for our frustrations.  Our competitor is the neurological condition that we are all battling.  It is us against it.  Our numbers are strong, our belief in our methods unshaking, our work ethic strong.  We paddle toward that light at the end of the tunnel together.  Now, I'm going to get rolling on my busy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment