Friday, July 22, 2011

I think I heard a 'click'

Wow- Spencer is starting to amaze me daily.  Tuesday, I got a call to pick up Spence from ESY.  Seems he was bleeding from the mouth and they couldn't tell where.  By the time I got there, it had stopped bleeding.  I think he bit the side of his cheek.  He wasn't in any pain, but once I was there, he was leaving with me.  It was only 10:15 when we left the school.  I had been having trouble locating his tapioca dinner rolls (bread that is gluten free and free of all his other allergens).  So, when he wanted a golf cart ride (which he indicated by handing me the golf cart keys), I decided to let him tell me where HE wanted to go.  At every intersection, I would ask him, "That way, or that way"  he would indicate which way he wanted to go by pointing.  He took us to Kroger.  Dang, that is good.  It is a little harder to navigate the golf cart paths than the street, due to the lack of signage and the fact that it all pretty much looks the same.  I thought he just took me there because he knew how to get there.  Nope, he wanted to GO there.  Hey, no problem.  They still didn't have his rolls, so I let him get a pack of (diet-approved) cookies.  I picked up a few other things.  We then ran into a friend of ours.  She and I talked for about 5 minutes or so.  Spence was so calm and patient.  When he got tired of holding his items, he put them in her basket.  She and I both laughed.  Then I held my breathe.  I saw goldfish in her basket.  Spencer LOVED goldfish before he went gluten free.  I was expecting a tantrum, or for him to grab the bags.  He did neither.  He just looked at them, and said "oooo".  That was it.  WHO IS THIS CHILD AND CAN I KEEP HIM?  Seriously, that is a major milestone.
We came home and little while later, we went to the pool area.  I brought his life jacket with me in the hopes of getting him to wear it.  He likes to go in the 5 foot area, and with me being only be 5'2", it is hard for me to help him and keep my own head above water.  But, after the debacle at the Dollywood water park, I thought there was no way this child would ever wear it.  Again, I was proven wrong.  (Never in my life have I been this happy to have been this wrong!!)  It took him a little while to get in the water, but then he brought the life jacket to me and wanted me to put it on him!!!  He then splashed around for a while.  Then he went over to the 5 foot area.  He was practicing his floating (on stomach and on back)  putting his head under, kicking and using his arms.  Whoa!  My little tadpole was back.  He got tired of having the life jacket on, so I let him take it off.  There were several other kids at the pool that day.  A couple of them wanted nothing to do with Spence, but there were two that recognized him from earlier in the summer.  Their mom is a special ed teacher somewhere in the county and they went to Spencer's school last year.  While Spencer is starting to want to play with other kids, it is usually him who follows the other kids around.  His brother is the only kid I've seen who initiates playing with him.  Well, Jacob and Ashley wanted to play with Spence.  They were so patient and kind, it was heartwarming.  Eventually, he did engage in a little playing with them.  We stayed out there for about 2 hours.  When they left, Spencer wanted to leave, too.  It was actually kind of sweet.  He didn't want to hang out if they were gone.
He was such a good boy, that I decided to make him some chocolate chip cookies as a reward.
Wednesday, when we were on our way to Brain Balance, Spencer was trying to tell me something.  His utterances were entirely different than what he usually does.  Unfortunately, I had absolutely no idea what he was trying to say.  He finally got too frustrated and stopped.
I'll post a couple of pics once I get my photos downloaded.
Happy Friday, everyone!!!

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie GooodliffeJuly 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM

    Gina, it sounds like Spencer is making fantastic progress. I love to keep up, so please continue to blog. It is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete