Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Nothing, but that's something.

I've got no stories of tantrums, conflicts, etc. That in itself is a wonderful thing.  And it is not like we have been confined to the house.  Quite the contrary.  I've been taking Spence on little errands here and there.  It is so cute to be able to go the grocery store and watch him carry his favorite (dietary approved) cookies around the store!  Like he's afraid I might not get them if he puts them in the basket. Friday, we went to Rite Aid to get something for my allergies.  I thought we were going to have a problem the minute we walked in.  Outside was dark and gloomy, inside was bright.  Spence sat in the doorway shielding his eyes, paralyzed (like a deer caught in the headlights).  I scooped him up and proceeded to the allergy aisle.  By this time, his eyes had adjusted and he wanted me to put him down (my back was thankful for that!)  He didn't try to run around the store or scream or any of the other things he used to do.  He stayed pretty close by me while I read some labels.  Then it was time to checkout.  They had a small section of DVD's that we needed to pass.  Spencer was drawn to them.  He carefully flipped through the selection.  [Time for a little background.  One time at Best Buy, Spencer took all of the DVDs on an end cap and laid them out in a straight line around the aisle.  It was that or have him tantrum.  Obvious choice.  Another time, Spencer straightened out the display by making sure all the DVDs were sorted properly.  He's pretty good at matching!] I let him look, then told him we were not buying any DVDs, and he needed to c'mon.  HE DID.  No fussing, no hassle.  I was kind of stunned, in a good way.  As a general rule, Spencer watches no TV.  But, they had Thomas and Elmo.  I couldn't believe how well behaved he was.  We also made several trips to the grocery store in search of his favorite rolls, but everyone seems to be out of them.  (There seems to be a run on Tapioca Dinner Rolls- they are not THAT good)  And, he was okay with that.  He knew what we were going for, led me directly to the right aisle, and looked at the empty space.  That is the kind of thing that would have set him off just a few months ago.  He seemed to take it in stride.
He just loves his golf cart!  We hardly ever use the car on the weekends because we can get almost anywhere using the golf cart.  It takes longer, but we aren't in a hurry on the weekends.  Yesterday was a fantastic day- but it deserves a post all it's own.  Yes, it is that good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment