Sunday, July 10, 2011

What a week!

Well, I haven’t blogged in a while, but that usually happens on vacation. ;)   Tuesday, we went for a hike in the Smoky Mountains and a picnic. On the way back to the resort, traffic was at a stand still.  Being the city folk that we are, we immediately assumed that there was an accident up ahead.  Boy were we wrong.  Up on the side of the mountain was a black bear.  We stopped (just like everyone else) and Pey took a couple of pictures.  Very, very cool.
Wednesday, we should have all just stayed in bed.  Yes, it was that bad.  I needed to go to the grocery because we were running low on Spencer supplies.  I hadn’t been gone long when Spencer had a fit.  He decided to throw all of my toiletries over the 3rd floor balcony.  Poor Pey was sent downstairs to try to collect everything.  Needless to say, my husband was not happy with Mr. Spencer when I returned.  We decided to go to Splash Country water park.  We didn’t have a problem until the lifeguard told us that Spencer needed a life jacket to be in the wave pool.  He is not an adventurous child and was staying where the water barely came to his knees.  Well, you would have thought that we were beating the tar out of the child.  He did not want the life jacket, but he wanted in the wave pool.  Finally, we got him in the wave pool with the jacket.  But, he was not happy.  Which means we were not happy.  I decided to take him to the lazy river, since he could do that without any external apparatus.  We ran around several times (good leg workout for Mommy!) and then Daddy joined us while Pey did some slides.  We went around a couple of times with Daddy- on a tube and calm.  I thought the day had been salvaged.  I need to not make assumptions like that anymore.  We went to the kiddie area, so Spence could do some age-appropriate and ability-appropriate slides.  He had a blast.  He didn’t like waiting his turn, but he did it.  All was well until the lifeguard told us that everyone had to get out of the pool.  I had just promised Spence that he could do the slide again and then I was pulling him away.  He totally did not understand.  Then I realized they were vacating the pool due to inclement weather and nearby lightning strikes.  He kept trying to make mad dashes to the pool.  I had him by the hand and was leading him out of the kiddie area when he plopped.  I tripped and fell over him.  When I turned back, I grabbed him and told him in no uncertain terms that we needed to go NOW.  He was trying to plop again, so I grabbed him under his arms from behind and was kind of lifting him and walking with him.  That is when it happened.  This woman got in my face and told me that I needed to calm down for the sake of my child.  Yes, I was mad at Spence, but I was more in a panic of what could come.  I could not redirect him in that area- I had to remove him from the situation in order to control it.  I certainly did not want him to become self-injurious.  Now, I had this woman to deal with.  I asked her to get out of my way and she kept stepping in front of me.  Now I was furious.  At HER.  But, she didn’t get it.  I needed to get out of there NOW!  My husband was behind me stunned.  She proceeds to follow us to where we have our stuff.  My heart was racing, adrenaline pumping.  I could not believe her nerve.  I was able to get Spence interested in his food while we packed up our stuff to leave.  Hours later, I was still reeling.  I have never had such an encounter and hope to never repeat the experience again.
Thursday, my wonderful husband suggested that I visit the spa while he took the kids to the indoor water park located at our resort.  Don’t mind if I do!  It was a relatively peaceful day, but Spence was becoming restless.  Friday, we went to Dollywood and rode a ride I never would have thought that Spence would enjoy.  The whole family got on a raft and yes, we got wet!  I think Spence got a kick out of it.  I know Peyton did, because he wanted to keep riding that ride.  We could not get Spence to go to sleep that night.  One of his front teeth was loose and he was obsessed with playing with it.  He just kept getting more and more ‘out of control’.  I decided that we would leave Saturday and return to PTC.  Between construction and traffic, it seemed to take forever.  Whew!
Now it is time to clean the apartment, do laundry (yuck!) and get back to our routine.  Hopefully, I’ll be able to post some pics soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment