Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bad Mommy, again!

As if the poor child wasn't already traumatized by his playground visit, I decide that he needs a local pediatrician.  Tuesday, I checked him out early from school in order to go to the new doctor.  Spencer was none too pleased, but he did behave better than he does at the doctor at home.  This was encouraging.  mind you, I didn't say he behaved well, just better than usual.  The doctor and his staff obviously had a lot of experience with dealing with children such as Spence.  They were calm and sweet and weren't the least bit rattled by him. (which is saying a lot!!)  I liked the doctor.  He wasn't in the least bit of a hurry and took his time talking to me about Spencer and the therapy program.  Mission accomplished.

By Thursday, Spencer is thinking that I am the worst mother in the whole wide world.  He is not allowed anything to eat or drink (he needs to fast for his blood work) We arrive at the testing site on time and they take him in the back.  This is when all hell breaks loose.  He has had this done before and is not a fan.  Thank goodness mommy dressed for combat.  Just when the 2 nurses and I get the needle in his right arm, he breaks his left arm free and rips it out.  The 3 of us are freaking out.  That had to hurt, but he feels no pain.  Now we need to stop the bleeding on the right arm and try to get the blood out of his left. We try a different approach this time, and once the needle is in, he lets out a series of the most blood curdling cries I've ever heard.  Time seems to stand still and it takes forever to fill the two vials needed.  Once we are done, he is soo ready to leave and go to school.  I try to give him something to eat in the car, but he is still too angry with me.  So, he shows up at school with bandaids on both arms, and bruises to match.  And he gets sympathy out the wazoo.  Spence is just happy to be back to his routine.

Friday was the big boy's sixth birthday!  My parents came in for the 'festivities'.  Spencer had a blast opening all of his gifts.  He wanted nothing to do with his birthday cupcakes, but he liked the candles.  I had to leave to attend a nutrition meeting.  All hell broke loose.  According to my parents, Spence was heartbroken.  He searched the apartment high and low looking for me.  My mother was trying to bribe him with Diet Coke (which he loves but is not allowed to drink) and he wasn't going for it.  After about 20 minutes, he calmed down.  He let them get him ready for bed and each one took a turn laying down with him (in mommy's bed) until he went to sleep.  When I got home, he was fast asleep and looking like the sweetest little angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment